Friday, April 16, 2010

Tzatziki YUM!

OMG! I was so excited to see this recipe for Tatziki! LOVE this stuff, but in North East PA we don't have it readily available...or at least not that I have seen. I import it from New York when I visit my parents :) . This recipe is so simple and delicious. (recipe found on www.onceuponachef.com). I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! - Tamra (a.k.a. The Frugal Mom)

Tzatziki (Low Fat Yogurt & Cucumber Dip)

Tzatziki 10 glow

If it's wrong to eat dip right out of the bowl with a spoon, then I'm guilty. With this classic Greek tzatziki, I simply can't help myself. One taste leads to another, and another and – well, it's healthy – so just one more...



Tzatziki 15

Try it and you'll see...there's something oddly addicting about the combination of tangy-thick yogurt, crunchy grated cucumber, olive oil, garlic and aromatic fresh mint. Yes, it's all good for you but that's just an added bonus here.

Tzatziki 14

Like most dips, you can buy it in a tub but nothing beats the freshness and taste of homemade, especially when it's this easy to make. Just be sure to use authentic Greek strained yogurt (it's very thick and creamy) and squeeze as much water as possible out of your grated cucumber. Use your hands to wring the liquid out...I'm talking several minutes of squeezing and re-squeezing. You won't believe how much water is in there!

Tzatziki 5

As for the herbs, tzatziki is traditionally made with either mint or dill. I prefer the flavor of mint but feel free to substitute fresh dill if you like.

Tzatziki 8

Serve it with store bought pita chips as an appetizer...or wait til next week and serve it as a topper for my Greek-style lamb burgers.

And get that spoon ready :)

Tzatziki (Low Fat Yogurt & Cucumber Dip)

Makes about 2 cups

Ingredients

1 ½ cups plain 2% Greek yogurt (I use Fage)
1 medium seedless cucumber, coarsely grated and squeezed as dry as possible (about 1 cup)
2 small garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, good quality such as Lucini or Colavita
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint, plus a pinch more for garnish

Directions

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix until well combined. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary (I add about ¼ teaspoon more salt but season to your own taste). Cover and chill until ready to serve. Garnish with a pinch of finely chopped mint if desired.

Seedless cucumbers are also called English cucumbers or hothouse cucumbers. They are typically wrapped in plastic

No comments:

Post a Comment