Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Quick tips: Clever Ways to Save

Here are a few tips I got from the Everyday Cheapskate Newsletter by Mary Hunt. I thought they were pretty clever. I'd love to hear your tips! - Tamra (a.k.a. The Frugal Mom)

GLORIOUS GARDENING.
I re-use cardboard tubes from things like paper towels and toilet tissue. Cut the tube to a depth of two inches, and place the rings into a plastic saucer or tray. Fit them tightly together and fill with potting mix. Use these to start your vegetables and flowers from seed! You can plant them directly in the ground, cardboard and all, when the seedlings are strong enough and the ground is warm enough. Happy gardening! Angel P., Alabama

SOOTHING SALVE. Sooth a poison ivy rash this way: Make coffee as strong as you can. Add baking soda to make a thick paste. Apply the paste directly on the affected area, wrap it up tight and sleep with the bandage on. In the morning, take the bandage off, cleanse, and repeat if necessary the following evening. Yvonne M., Georgia

JAVA JOLT. In an effort to be green, I reuse my coffee filters. I put them in the bottom of flower pots so the soil does not wash away. I also mix the used coffee grounds in with my potting soil to use as mulch.
Leslee H., California


No comments:

Post a Comment