Friday, November 6, 2009

My Latest Potty Training Experiment

Every mom reading this has gone through (or will be going through) the potty training nightmare. My oldest daughter seemed to get potty trained overnight. My memory might be a bit fuzzy, but I don't remember having the difficulties I have had with my 2 nd daughter. Maybe its because she is the middle child? Or maybe its just because she is stubborn. Not sure which.

I have tried everything from special potty charts, a potty party (decorating the bathroom with balloons and streamers etc), a stamp book, special treats, letting her choose special panties from the store...but nothing has worked as successfully as I would like. We still keep having the accidents. I even got to the point where I would just put the pull-ups on her because I was so sick of changing her clothes and cleaning up messes.

Today we tried something new. And cross your fingers..it seems to have worked great! She loves to play learning games on the computer on Starfall.com. and I limit her time on there to once per day. She will ask me continuously if she can go on the computer to play again. So I decided to turn this into her reward for going potty.

This is what we did. I had my daughter help me make her new potty chart. We traced a large circle on a piece of contruction paper. Than chose another color for the background sheet. After cutting out the circle, we traced in onto the center of the second paper. Then like a pie I sectioned it into 6 pieces and cut them out. I made a little pocket under the pie chart to hold the pieces. We pinned it onto a cork board so it would be easy to remove and put on over and over again.

Now here is the premise of this chart. Every time she goes potty without an accident she gets to put a pie piece on the chart. When she puts all 6 pieces of the pie on the chart than she can use the computer for 15 minutes, (we use a timer for this so there is no arguing). We made it 1 pie piece for a successful pee-pee on the potty & 2 pie pieces for a successful poopie on the potty. But if she has an accident than 1 pie piece would be removed.

Let me tell you I have never seen my daughter so eager to sit on the potty ever! She spent all morning trying to go even when she didn't need to :).

I would love to hear your potty training success stories. Please email me at tflowers@optonline.net and I may include your story on my Blog!

Thank you - Tamra (a.k.a. The Frugal Mom)

1 comment:

  1. agreed! potty traiing is my least favorite thing to do with kids!

    ReplyDelete