Friday, February 20, 2009

Feb week # 3 - Metabolism 101

Summer is coming and I am sure like me, you are thinking about getting ready to bare your winter hidden body. One thing I was wondering is how many calories I should be eating each day and how do I boost my metabolism. I know that I eat more than I should and don't exercise enough. My thought is if I could just eat less and exercise more I should be OK right? So I did a little research on how to find out your personal calorie limit. I found some interesting info on www.quackerricesnacks.com. They also have some yummy recipes for low calorie snacks.

Most calories are burned simply by basic body functions such as breathing, circulating blood and keeping cells functioning. Beyond that, anywhere from 20 to 50 percent of our daily caloric needs are determined by physical activity, which is why fitness is such an important component of our daily lives.

So here is how you can determine where your personal daily caloric intake should be:

  • Step #1: Take your body weight in pounds and multiply by 10 calories. Example: 150 pounds x 10 calories = 1,500 calories.
  • Step #2: Take half your body weight and add it to the number from Step #1 to obtain your resting metabolic rate (the amount of calories you burn every day to breathe, pump blood and hold your pen at work). Example: 150 pounds/2 = 75 1,500 calories = 1,575 calories.
  • Step #3: If you engage in resistance training at least 2 hours per week, add an additional 100 calories.
  • Step #4: For every 10 minutes of cardiovascular exercise achieved, add an additional 100 calories. Example: A 150-pound female who weight trains twice per week for an hour and does 30 minutes of daily cardiovascular exercise needs an additional 400 calories, for a total of 1,975 calories per day

To keep your calorie-burning engine running efficiently, you should eat every 3-4 hours for a total of 4-6 small meals per day. To figure out calories per meal, divide your total calorie goal by your goal number of meals. Example: 1,475 calories / 5 meals = 295 calories per meal or snack.

Approximately 25 percent of every main meal should consist of a starchy carbohydrate, such as brown rice, whole-wheat pasta, whole grain cereals and breads, corn, peas and potatoes. A protein-rich food such as non-fat cottage cheese, round steak, skinless chicken breast and fish should make up another quarter. The remaining 50 percent should be colorful fruits and vegetables.

Follow these three guidelines and your metabolism will be humming for a healthy you! Lets do this together. I would love any weight loss or exercise tips you could share. I look forward to hearing from you at tflowers@optonline.net.

Good Luck! Tamra

No comments:

Post a Comment