Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Jan week # 4 - Healthy Snacks for Mom & Kids

One thing I know is that if I am hungry, I want to eat. And that usually means I will grab what is easy and convenient.

So to help me eat healthier, I have found that if I take some time on Sunday and prep a few snacks I will have healthier options to grab when hunger strikes. I hope the following tips will help you as much as they do me.

1. I will cut up some veggies (carrots sticks, celery, cucumbers, peppers, broccoli) and put them in snack bags. I make up some dip with light sour cream and Lipton's Savory herb and Garlic soup mix. I just mix it in the sour cream container and label it. Hummus as a dip for veggies is another yummy option.


2. I also put pretzels in snack bags so I can just grab a snack size portion rather than the whole bag. Helps me control my portions size. Dip them in hummus (my favorite brand is Sabra) and you have a yummy satisfying snack that will get you through til the next meal time.

3. Also making sure you have lots of fruit on hand. fruit you like. Bananas, grapes, apples, clementines, oranges. All portable and satisfying. Wash some seedless grapes and put them in snack bags. Slice up apples and mix them with a little orange juice so they wont brown, pack them in snack bags. Slice up oranges , place them in snack bags.

4. Trail mix is another good option. You can usually buy them in large bags. if you portion them into snack size bags you wont eat too much of it, yet it is a good snack in moderation. Nuts, dried fruit. Yummy and healthy. And kids LOVE this.

Having snack size portions ready to grab will also give you easy options for your kids snacks. When you are at home or on the go. If you have school aged kids, you can just grab and put a healthy snack in their lunch box. I know my kids want to snack all day long. This way I know I will have a good snack at the ready. If we are going out I put some in my diaper bag and I know wont have to grab something off the shelf that is not good for them, and it saves me money too.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips! I also love Sabra hummus, the roasted garlic flavor is sensational!

    ReplyDelete
  2. its a favorite in our house too. My girls will eat it with everything when we have it in the house. Turkey veggie wraps, veggies dipped in, pretzels, toasted pitas. just about anything. I have to be sure my hubby doesn't eat it all in one sitting! Its that good.... mmmm.

    ReplyDelete