Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Jan week #3 - Dawns Whole Croc Pot Chicken Recipe

Sent in by Dawn L in LI, NY

Hi Tamra, I was home sick today and I was thinking of some meals for your blog. I finally went food shopping and saw at Waldbaums Americas Choice Whole Chickens for 69 cents a pound. So, I picked up a whole chicken about 3.5 lbs and paid $2.33 (or something like that) for it. Then, I got it home and didn't want to have to worry about cooking it in the oven. So, I found a recipe on line for whole crock pot chicken. I was a little concerned at first, but I went with it and it worked out great.

I changed it around a little, but the premise was the same. The good thing was the bones and left over chicken and broth was the start for a great chicken soup which can be either saved for another meal or frozen. The other nice thing was that I made the chicken and Henry made the soup.

Dawns Whole Chicken Crock Pot Recipe:
1 Whole Chicken, 3 tsp salt, 1 tsp paprika, 2 tsp Old Bay Spice, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp thyme, 1 tsp rosemary, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 cup chopped onions, 3-4 chopped carrots, 4 garlic cloves.

In a separate bowl, mix spices (you can actually use any spices that you want, including lemon pepper) Make sure to remove giblets and thoroughly clean the chicken inside and out. Rub spice mixture into chicken (inside and out and even under the skin if you like). Place 1-2 garlic cloves inside the chicken (optional). Place chopped onion, garlic and carrots on the bottom of the crock pot. Add Chicken. No liquid needed. Cook on low for 4-6 hours, depending on the size of the chicken. It falls right off the bone and is so juicy.

Henry's Chicken Soup: At the end of the above meal, Henry takes the broth with left over onions, carrots, chicken (making sure to remove all remaining meat from the bones) and places them in a pot.Add 2 cups of water, depending on how much broth is left. Add additional vegetables, we added fresh carrots. Bring to a boil, then let it simmer. Add any additional seasonings, if necessary. We add cumin, black pepper, salt if needed. This can either be used for an additional meal later in the week, and served with rice, or frozen for a later date.


Thanks Dawn for sending in these great recipes. I will be trying this next week in my menu. Can't wait to try it! Thanks - Tamra

1 comment: